The principle function of the contemporary worship leader of the congregation is to plan, develop and promote the music ministry of the church to the glory of God.
- Reveal, by life, a true conversion experience;
- Loves music, senses God’s calling to the music ministry, and retains the gifts and abilities to lead this congregation to rejoice in the experiences of worship and praise through music;
- Understands the music needs and requirements of a Southern Baptist Church and can develop programs to meet these needs in a way that will glorify God;
- Has an education and /or experience for the various aspects of this position;
- Has a reputation of keeping confidences;
- Must be proficient for the development and production of ProPresenter and Planning Center;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a worship leaders’ position.
The Worship Leader shall be responsible to the Pastor in the fulfillment of his services:
- Assist the Pastor in planning worship services;
- Prayerfully select songs and coordinate with praise teams;
- Communicate with the media team on needs for service;
- Ensure the music, materials, supplies, and instruments are maintained, current and accurate;
- Coordinate the music ministry in harmony with the pastor, staff and other leaders in the church council e.g. youth and celebrate recovery leaders;
- Coordinate the chairman of the media and worship teams to ensure all bases are covered;
- Hold auditions for potential praise team members, and fill vacancies as they occur;
- Attend conferences for the music and worship related ministries as approved by the pastor;
- Serve on committees as requested by the pastor;
- Maintain a Christ-honoring spirit in the church office.
The requirements are as dictated to accomplish the responsibilities and services of the Worship Leader, and as agreed to by the pastor.